Sunday, November 27, 2011

Sidney Crosby's Living Situation(s)

So I should be writing about the Steelers @ Chiefs game tonight but I wanted to mention this article I just came across...

I was reading the Post-Gazette.com article about how Crosby just sold his house that he has been renovating for the past 2 years in Sewickley Heights and has now bought a new house he liked in Sewickley.  But he didn't buy the house because he liked it I guess, because he tore it down and is now building a new house.  That's besides the point.  My point is, when reading the article, I realized that Crosby is still living "part-time" at Lemieux's house.  He has been living there since he was an 18-year old rookie.  Now, this is either a genius move by Lemieux or its just the kid who doesn't want to move out of mommy and daddy's house.

Genius because Crosby hasn't got into any trouble "off the ice".  Most likely that can be attributed to being under Papa Mario's watchful eye, "be back by 2 am, young Sidney, I'll send a car so you don't do any of that drinking and driving and I'll know where you will be!" I didn't even know you could really do that.  But I guess if you are the owner of a team, you could do whatever you want to do.  It's actually brilliant to keep your young, star player in check, right where you can see them. 


Now from a different point of view, it could be a little weird.  A lot of us in our 20s have moved home because we realize its a tough world out there and its much nicer at home where we don't have to do our grocery shopping or cook.  Also, our economy sucks and with school loans taking each of our paychecks, its hard to keep up with rent and bills.  Unfortunately for me, my parents won't let me come back home... but I think it's better that my dad and I don't live under the same roof (love you daddy!).  Anyway, Crosby is not a normal 24 year old struggling to not have to put food back at the checkout counter because we came up $5 short.  The article said he lives between an apartment and Lemieux's house while he was building his $2.4 million house and now building his new abode. 


But why?  Why not just live on your own?  Most of us would kill to live at the Cork Factory, in a gorgeous loft in Shadyside or have one of those new Ryan townhomes around town!  I just don't understand why Sidney Crosby won't live on his own full time?  (By the way, this has nothing to do with Crosby as a person or player, just curious about his living situation!)  I wonder if there are any other athletes that do this?  I'll post the link below but it was just bothering me and I was thinking maybe somebody out there had read this and thought the same or different.


Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Sid buys and sells a home

UPDATE: Right before I was going to post this, I was informed by my boyfriend that the HBO series 24/7: Penguins vs. Capitals leading up to the Winter Classic showed that Alex Ovechkin lives with his parents in a townhome.  He even said he didn't know who was going to do his laundry on the road... 

No comments:

Post a Comment